Scoil Mhuire is actively engaged in School Self —Evaluation. This is a collaborative, inclusive, reflective process of internal school review. When engaging in school self-evaluation, schools reflect on their aims, consider criteria for success within the school’s context and ethos, and determine methods for judging the quality of educational provision in the school. It is an evidence based approach which involves gathering information from a range of sources and making judgements with a view to bringing about improvements in students’ learning .
The Whole School Evaluation — Management, Leadership and Learning (WSE-MLL) conducted in February 2015 acknowledged the SSE process in Scoil Mhuire by stating “This work is led in a committed and enthusiastic manner by a core team of teachers:
A summary of the plan for 2021/22 is as follows:
- A Print Rich environment
- “Book in the Bag” initiative — particularly for Junior Cycle students
- Subject based vocabulary — class based word bank
- READ WALL — Display board where selected novel will be featured and students can add opinions/comments
- Promotion of a Book Club
- Tests results given in fraction form and students asked to convert to percentages
- A Numeracy Rich environment
- Promoting and identifying patterns in specific subject areas
- Promote new Digital Learning Plan
- Update & Monitor staff on booking devices
- Provide training to the Digital leaders & continue to promote the “buddy team”
- Continue to work with the Transition Year tech team
ASSESSMENT FOR LEARNING (AFL)
- Exit Pass
These strategies are being used by teachers to help students to learn in class and to ensure that students can improve their work and hold onto their learning.
- The exit pass is used at the end of class and students have an opportunity to assess their own learning in the class. The exit pass gives students a chance to highlight concepts they find difficult.
- Open questions provide students with an opportunity to be creative, to develop their knowledge, to showcase their talents and improve their learning.